Ultrasound Day

What a fucking morning this has been.

It is my first day back after being out sick from work the past two days. Well as you all know Thursday is my weekly ultrasound. So I plan to go to the ultrasound,  have a look at the baby and then head back to work.

We start our appointment and everything is going good but the baby was extremely active more so than normal. Then the ultrasound chick checks the babies heart-rate and it is in the low 200’s!  Well I immediately saw the concern on her face and just that time I hear Tom say, “That is kind of high isn’t it?” Apparently I am blind because no where on the screen could I see the heart rate number. I asked what it was and the lady told me it was 198! I can feel the tears welling in my eyes but I tried to keep under control. The lady continues with the rest of the ultrasound and everything looks good…except the heart rate. So she says, “We might need to send you over to the hospital, I am going to go and look for the doctor and if he isn’t in yet I will page him.” Well all of this is starting to sound extremely urgent to me and as soon as the door closes I started to cry. I compose myself before she returns. She get back and tries to put a fetal monitor around my belly but the baby would not sit still long enough to get a good reading so I ended up being sent over to the office that is at the hospital. She didn’t want to send me to triage for fear they would take too long. So Tom drives us  over there and I get all strapped in to the fetal monitor and we sit and watch. This child was going from 125 to 180 but eventually calmed down enough that we were allowed to leave.

The doctors didn’t offer any reason for this mysterious heart rate craziness. It was all very upsetting. But we are both okay and she is doing well (as long as she doesn’t have another baby freak out moment).

 Oooh, I almost forgot, she weighs 5lbs 2oz! YAY!

(No pictures today since we had the baby scare)


5 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. markalan
    Jan 31, 2008 @ 14:15:33

    That is odd that the baby’s HR spiked. And they were not able to offer any reason why?

    Think positive. It’ll all be OK.

  2. fancythis
    Jan 31, 2008 @ 14:18:02

    ugh, I’m so sad that you had to go through that!!!

  3. Kate
    Jan 31, 2008 @ 14:27:43

    I’m glad she calmed down – what a scare!

  4. girlymama
    Jan 31, 2008 @ 14:59:44

    you’ll be okay – they wouldn’t have let you leave is it was serious. She was probably just nervous about being photographed.

  5. TeamWinks
    Jan 31, 2008 @ 15:40:11

    That’s quite the appointment! Glad things have settled down now.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: